Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Oops forgot one!

Forgot about this one, not sure how, possibly just because I've been working on it for the better part of the entire quarter off and on, and it's never been finished...

Until now!

This was originally in black and white. Technically all we had to do was to just put it into basic flat colours, then do some generic shading.

I realized the old 'rock' texture we'd done a bit before this looked very scale-like, so with some colour modifications, adpated it for use for the underbelly scales and wings.

The rest of the scales... well it's hard to see in this blog, since it severely reduces the image size unless you actually click directly on the image itself to expand to full size (I highly recommend it for this piece), each of the 'black' scales, were manually inscribed with carved runes. Each rune is carefully made; some are from actual runic alphabets, others from various game world runes, some from my own personal designs, and others are just random scribbles that look really neat. It took hours to get the runes in, in the first place, and even longer to make them actually work right and not be black on black.

The choice of blue runes on obsidian scales was one made due to a roleplaying character I'd made some time ago, in which I'd come up with a rather neat idea of a demi-goddess dragoness, Noesis, who takes after her name as a sage. She's blind, and rather 'sees' things as they are, as they were, and will be, and essentially 'knows' where everything is without having to see it. The rune design on the character was just too nice a concept, and I wanted to make use of it here.

Overall, I think it was worth all the effort.

Only major finalized problem, is that the green scales on the wings and face, in order to allow the darker base detail lines to show through, aren't quite dark enough, and look a bit washed out. I tried everything I could think of to preserve the effect, but no matter what I try, it ends up looking either so dark that you can't see the detail lines, or it looks washed out. There doesn't seem to be a happy medium in between, and even toying with the levels and saturation levels hasn't helped. Ah well, it's a minor gripe. It still looks great I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment